Thursday, April 25, 2013

Homemade Baby Food: Organic Carrots




I've always wanted to attempt to make baby food at home. Today I did just that and I feel accomplished! I had organic mini peeled carrots on hand and decided to start there. I didn't make a large batch because I wanted to get the hang of it first. Next time I'll make a larger batch and freeze them in ice cube trays.

I don't own a special steaming pot so I used what I had available in my kitchen - a colander, medium saucepan and a lid.

I cut up the carrots and steamed them for 8-10 minutes.

I poured them into a container for mashing.




After mashing them I wanted it to have a smoother consistency so I decided to puree it in the food processor. I did not add any water. (Note: Do not use reserved water from carrots because they contain nitrates).



I placed the carrot puree into a baby food jar, added breastmilk, and stirred gently. I fed half the jar to my little one and he loved it! I placed the rest in the fridge (it can be stored for up to 2 days, 3 max).

"Gimme that spoon"

I can't wait to make other varieties of baby food and I feel proud of myself for doing so. :)

If you've made your own baby food, I would love for you to share your comments and recipes!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...